Solved

Why does Field Renamer Stage perform worse than Expression Evaluator?

• 14 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I have encountered a situation where renaming fields using the Field Rename stage performs so poorly that it is much better to simply use the Expression Evaluator to make copies of the fields (524 in total) with the desired names. This baffles me as I expected the expression evaluator in this scenario to be more costly since it is duplicating the records. What is going on here that is making this so counter intuitive?

icon

Best answer by saleempothiwala 25 October 2022, 11:47

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@mblahay 

You can try the field mapper processor to rename the field names and i believe it will solve your problem.

Userlevel 1

How does one use the field mapper to rename all the fields? I think I understand how it works if all the fields are being renamed using a similar process, such as applying a prefix or suffix to all, but what if there isn’t a particular pattern to the renaming?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@mblahay 

you can use field renamer or scripting  processor to rename it.

If don’t mind , kindly send me the case on which you are facing issues, so i can check on it.

Userlevel 1

I’m done some more testing and it doesn’t seem that the renamer is necessarily worse performing, but it isn’t a cheap operation either. For instance, if fields need to be renamed and those same fields need to be transformed, it appears to be better to create new fields with the new names in the expression evaluator where the transformations occur.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@mblahay,

Yes, that would be a good option to use the final field name in expression evaluator so you dont have to process the same column multiple times during the batch