Solved

Strigo Lab - Streamsets Academy:DataOps Platform Fundamentals/Lab Build a JDBC Pipeline

• 29 September 2022
  • 4 replies

I am following the instructions in the Lab: Build a JDBC Pipeline.

As per the instructions, I go on the Right Hand Pane and click on Set Up → Engines and then click on the Engine(s) running on Strigo and then on the top tab I click on “External Resources” and then clicking on the side of the new left panel, I click on “External Libraries” and then the Plus (+) icon, for me to Upload the External Library, I select from the pull-down menu the Stage Library for JDBC and then it asks to Browse File.  At that point the video states in a pop-up block that “Files required to complete this exercise are provided in the lab guide”.

I could not find the file which in the video is named “mysql-connector-java-8.0.25.jar”.  I search the Windows environment through the Folder Explorer under the “This PC” for that jar file, using *.jar as the search term, with only the securitypack jar file showing up.

I then googled that I could download directly that named jar file from the MySQL website and downloaded that exact jar file.  I then need to restart the Data Collector(s). 

Now I am supposed to Test the connection.  Going to the Left Page under Set Up→ Connections, I click on Zomato Database and Edit Connection, and then putting in the as specified values that are in the video.  When I go to click on “Test Connection”, I get the following error:

JDBC_00 - Cannot connect to specified database:com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.

I greatly appreciate any assistance!!!

icon

Best answer by john.durkin 29 September 2022, 15:40

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

@loveStremSets 

From the looks of it, your SDC does not have access to the mysqldb docker instance.

1. Please choose Set Up → Engines → Select your engine

You should see something like this:

copy the docker hostname (61a140460d09, in my case) 

1. Then go to your Strigo session and select StreamSets Cluster.

Type the following:

sudo docker network connect streamsets-core <your docker hostname from step #1>

sudo docker network connect streamsets-integrations <your docker hostname from step #1>

Once you have done that, try Test Connection again and see if it works.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,

If you are having connection issues between containers in the lab environment, you may have skipped an important step in the Setup a Deployment lab

On Step 9, you have to run a script to enable restore after hibernation and the communication between containers.  This is only related to the Strigo lab environment and not ‘real life’.

Also, in the Build a JDBC Pipeline lab, we provide a link to download the JAR file.

There is a lot of detailed information in the labs so please be sure to follow each step.

Hope that helps and good luck!

John

Thank you so much for clarifying everything so beautifully.  I greatly appreciate it!!!   I got it to work with your help!!!

@loveStremSets

From the looks of it, your SDC does not have access to the mysqldb docker instance.

1. Please choose Set Up → Engines → Select your engine

You should see something like this:

copy the docker hostname (61a140460d09, in my case) 

1. Then go to your Strigo session and select StreamSets Cluster.

Type the following:

sudo docker network connect streamsets-core <your docker hostname from step #1>

sudo docker network connect streamsets-integrations <your docker hostname from step #1>

Once you have done that, try Test Connection again and see if it works.

@saleempothiwala I tried the above on my local docker (i m not using Strigo), but i get the error

Error response from daemon: network streamsets-core not found

Do i need to perform additional steps on the engine install when it is done on a local linux machine instead of Strigo?

thank you