Solved

Strigo Lab - Streamsets Academy:DataOps Platform Fundamentals/Lab Build a JDBC Pipeline

• 29 September 2022
  • 4 replies

I am following the instructions in the Lab: Build a JDBC Pipeline.

As per the instructions, I go on the Right Hand Pane and click on Set Up → Engines and then click on the Engine(s) running on Strigo and then on the top tab I click on “External Resources” and then clicking on the side of the new left panel, I click on “External Libraries” and then the Plus (+) icon, for me to Upload the External Library, I select from the pull-down menu the Stage Library for JDBC and then it asks to Browse File.  At that point the video states in a pop-up block that “Files required to complete this exercise are provided in the lab guide”.

I could not find the file which in the video is named “mysql-connector-java-8.0.25.jar”.  I search the Windows environment through the Folder Explorer under the “This PC” for that jar file, using *.jar as the search term, with only the securitypack jar file showing up.

I then googled that I could download directly that named jar file from the MySQL website and downloaded that exact jar file.  I then need to restart the Data Collector(s). 

Now I am supposed to Test the connection.  Going to the Left Page under Set Up→ Connections, I click on Zomato Database and Edit Connection, and then putting in the as specified values that are in the video.  When I go to click on “Test Connection”, I get the following error:

JDBC_00 - Cannot connect to specified database:com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.

I greatly appreciate any assistance!!!

icon

Best answer by john.durkin 29 September 2022, 15:40

View original

4 replies

@loveStremSets

From the looks of it, your SDC does not have access to the mysqldb docker instance.

1. Please choose Set Up → Engines → Select your engine

You should see something like this:

copy the docker hostname (61a140460d09, in my case) 

1. Then go to your Strigo session and select StreamSets Cluster.

Type the following:

sudo docker network connect streamsets-core <your docker hostname from step #1>

sudo docker network connect streamsets-integrations <your docker hostname from step #1>

Once you have done that, try Test Connection again and see if it works.

@saleempothiwala I tried the above on my local docker (i m not using Strigo), but i get the error

Error response from daemon: network streamsets-core not found

Do i need to perform additional steps on the engine install when it is done on a local linux machine instead of Strigo?

thank you

Thank you so much for clarifying everything so beautifully.  I greatly appreciate it!!!   I got it to work with your help!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,

If you are having connection issues between containers in the lab environment, you may have skipped an important step in the Setup a Deployment lab

On Step 9, you have to run a script to enable restore after hibernation and the communication between containers.  This is only related to the Strigo lab environment and not ‘real life’.

Also, in the Build a JDBC Pipeline lab, we provide a link to download the JAR file.

There is a lot of detailed information in the labs so please be sure to follow each step.

Hope that helps and good luck!

John

Userlevel 4
Badge

@loveStremSets 

From the looks of it, your SDC does not have access to the mysqldb docker instance.

1. Please choose Set Up → Engines → Select your engine

You should see something like this:

copy the docker hostname (61a140460d09, in my case) 

1. Then go to your Strigo session and select StreamSets Cluster.

Type the following:

sudo docker network connect streamsets-core <your docker hostname from step #1>

sudo docker network connect streamsets-integrations <your docker hostname from step #1>

Once you have done that, try Test Connection again and see if it works.